Quote Originally Posted by Jason View Post
Is it lying if you're an author trying to preserve suspense for a work you haven't finished yet and so you don't tell your readers everything you know about the real plan?
Or if you change your mind after you wrote something and the plot ends up going a different way than you first thought it would?
Yes, if an author gives a detailed clarification on a subject which he knows to be incorrect, that's lying by definition. Also, explaining things like this does not preserve suspense (since the readers stop being on high alert).
As for the other question, it would appear that the Giant has had a fairly clear picture of what the overarching plotline is going to look like for a long-long time, and I very strongly doubt that he would have changed his mind about something as important as this is during the course of the last two years just because "yeah, the explanation I gave makes all kinds of sense but if I throw it all out and it'll turn out the Dark One was simply retarded all along that will be such a TWEEEEST!"
At any rate, theories that contradict the Word of the Giant have precious little weight as far as I am concerned, and unless you want to seriously debate whether Thor is the Snarl and Fruit Pie is the only being powerful to stop him in time and save the world or not, you shoulp perhaps care a bit more about the author's statements.