Jarla

Jarla had appeared on Countess shortly, looking resplendent in her custom riding clothes and hat. Elsa may have been starting to take note that here was a woman who would never appear at less than her best.

Jarla listened to her companion's anecdotes, occassionally interupting to clarify a point or laughing lightly at a particular adventure, notably on the recovery of the owl and her brother's ill-starred encounter with the prostitute. "I shall have to ask the girl myself when I speak to Filomeana," she commented dryly.

"I understand your points," Jarla said at last after Elsa had finished. "I can't claim to have worked as hard as you or your friends... but without casting doubt on that we all work with what we have, and I'm sure others have asked much about you. You have your magic. I have my beauty, my wits, my skill with the pistol and my horse. Between the two of us who do you think could do more damage to a kingdom?"

Jarla turned her grey-blue eyes to look at Elsa directly. "You may as well know; among much else I am a highwaywoman. I'm not a crazed killer but I've robbed sufficent gentlemen and ladies I'd be looking at a noose back in the Empire."