Quote Originally Posted by Warder View Post
Hi, context here! Max is referring to my followup post, and they got the context right. Though "bad" is probably not the word I should've used - it's just one of the cantrips I'm the least likely to pick, unless I was playing a fire-themed caster or something that made picking it have some kind of narrative sense.

My approach to picking spells is that as a primary caster, it's my job to affect the battlefield in a meaningful way on each of my turns, even if I'm running low on spell slots. Fire Bolts don't satisfy that role, because they do bad, unreliable single target damage, and the slightly higher damage dice on them compared to other cantrips doesn't justify picking them. I'd much rather slow a target by 10 feet or get rid of their reaction (et al), even though I'll do 1-2 points less damage. It won't always be the best choice, but if I can keep an enemy from attacking an ally for one round, while doing a little bit of damage while I'm at it, then we're usually ahead. The martials do the big single target damage, and if I can keep them safe to do that, it's a win for everyone.

I know it's a controversial opinion, though! But I've argued against Fire Bolt before and I still stand by my stance.
If I had to summarize my cantrip position:

1. Focus fire is still one of the best strategies
2. Cantrip effects with moderate damage and effects rarely have opportunities for the effect to really matter. 10ft slow is a good example here.
3. Even when there is an opportunity for the effect to be good, it’s likely not going to be on the enemy that’s being focus fired.

So I don’t think doing a d10 over a d8 is particularly important, but neither do I think 10ft slow is particularly important. I do think the slow effect would be more fun though as it feels powerful and apparent when it works. Whereas doing the next size damage die up is boring and consistent and it’s not like in play you’ll easily be able to discern the times that damage dice difference actually mattered.