1. - Top - End - #269
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Default Re: D&D Subclass Contest Chat Thread 2: Joke Entries Win with Alarming Frequency

Feedback on the Circle of the 5th Element

Quote Originally Posted by nickl_2000 View Post
    Druid - Circle of the 5th Element

Most intelligent species in the realm know of the primary 4 elements (Air, Fire, Water, and Earth), but the uninitiated often don’t know about the 5th element, spirit, that fills all the spaces where the other four elements aren’t. When one learns how to control the spirit in between, they can do amazing things only available to the most powerful of magic users. They can control others around them, set up invisible barriers, and even transport themselves over great distance. When combined with the other 4 elements, it is even more powerful.
    I'm not sure "spirit" is the best for this, as it's already heavily used in the lore. Alchemists used to use the words "aether" or "quintessense" for the concept of a fifth element (that's the literal meaning "quintessence" in fact. "Circle of the Quintessence" would sound cooler IMO, but that's a matter of taste)

Circle of the 5th Element Spells
    Druid Level Circle Spells
    2nd Magic Missile, Zephyr Strike
    3rd Misty Step, Spiritual Weapon
    5th Revivify, Thunder Step
    7th Dimension Door, Resilient Sphere
    9th Far Step, Wall of Force
    Good list! Revivify sticks out to me though, as I'm not sure how it relates to the themes expressed elsewhere in the class. Minor quibble.

Spirit Shield
    At level 2, as an action, you can use one of the uses of your wildshape to summon a spirit shield around yourself and your allies. When you do this, you gain 2x your druid level in temporary hit points that can be distributed to any allies that are within 60 feet of you.
    Great ability. I feel like you need to clarify when the thp can be distributed: as written it seems you, the caster, first gain all the thp and then may distribute them to your allies. It isn't clear that the redistribution of said thp can only occur at the time of casting or if they can be distributed at a later point of your choosing.

Minor Spatial Manipulation
    Additionally at level 2, you learn the mage hand cantrip. The hand is invisible and functions by manipulating the space and spirit around the object rather than the object itself and does not count against your cantrips known.
    Very good.

Spiritual Repulsion
    At level 6, any creature that is currently under the effect of your spirit shield also gains resistance to Bludgeoning, Piercing, and Slashing damage from non-magical weapons. Once all the temporary hit points from this feature are lost (or replaced by temporary hit points from another spell of ability), the damage resistance is also lost.
    Cool.

Major Spatial Manipulation
    At level 10 you can, as a reaction to an Area of Effect spell or ability being used, use your connection with space to manipulate the location of creatures. Choose a creature within 120 feet of you, that creature must make Charisma save against your spell DC. If they fail, you can switch the location of that creature with another creature within the Area of Effect of the spell or the ability. This has no effect on success.

This ability can be used proficiency mod times. Uses of this ability are regained when you complete a long rest.
    We all know what you mean, but I don't think "Area of Effect spell or ability" is the appropriate term. I think it would be "A spell or ability which targets an area". I'm also not sure what you mean by "This has no effect on success." Does this imply that even though you switch the creatures' locations, the creature you swapped out of the area of the spell is still affected by it? Also, I feel like a creature should be able to willingly fail the save.

Complete Spatial Awareness
    At level 14, you have learned complete spatial awareness. As such, you gain permanent Blindsense to 60 feet. Additionally, the teleport spell is added to your spell list. When you cast the teleport spell, any roll that results in a mishap is changed to a similar area instead.
    Neat capstone, very nice.
    Last edited by Damon_Tor; 2021-05-18 at 05:54 PM.