I once had a GM who hated me paying a scientist, because I actually started experimenting on the zombies when he just wanted us to shoot them in the face. He did everything he could to stop me, including letting me spend points on resources and then insisting it's has to be in useless cash instead of lab equipment. I spent the entire game six points behind everybody else because of that, never got a refund.

Couldn't just say he didn't want me building a scientist, and I'm not sure how he expected me to make use of my demolitions skills without any equipment. Annoyingly he banned my first character, who'd have fit much better, just because I wanted to use the magic rules. So I don't get why he could have bannes magic but not explicitly stated that he did not want a scientist.

We eventually secured far more resources than I'd have begun with and I responded by arming everybody with homemade tasers and explaining exactly how I had the resources to build a railgun. That scares him because he'd only encountered the word in 40k before.

All I'm saying is, know your GM before making a scientist.

(For the record I never managed to use electric shocks to train zombies, but did discover exactly what parts they needed to not be the dead dead.)