View Single Post

Thread: D&D Base Class Contest XV Chat Thread

1. - Top - End - #58
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: D&D Base Class Contest XV Chat Thread

Ok guys, so I added my entry...

This is version 2.0 of an old class I posted some time ago. Overall it has been heavily modified, while maintaining the basic idea.

Alas, like many of my homebrew creations, the class was created to reflect the specific wishes and needs of one of my players, so there are no subclasses. Since this involves simplification during design, feel free to penalize it, I understand it perfectly! ^^

The goal of the class is to create a gish capable of using spells as if they were the maneuvers of a melee warrior, both as feeling and outcome.

To do so I tried to create a mechanic as generic as possible, to avoid having to create ad hoc spells or a specific list of spells, developing the following points:
    • Reducing the range of all spells to "touch", to make them "melee".
    • Adding the ability to replace a certain number of spell attack rolls with full melee attacks.
    • Adding the ability to release the effects of AOE spells directly from your body.

These features are mostly needed to make the class work, but it lacked content at the higher levels, so at some point I decided to merge it with another idea I was developing: A caster version of the Barbarian's Rage. I like how it turned out, and how it fits with the concept of this class.

At the moment I'm testing the class in a campaign where the characters are still at 3rd level, so I'm still not sure how it will evolve, but for now, the result is very satisfying. I am afraid that at high levels the class may become too OP.

I added various notes, to make the reading more immediate and, above all, to highlight the doubts I have.

I hope you enjoy!
    Last edited by Old Harry MTX; 2021-05-24 at 11:50 AM.