So it's been a while.

I have managed to watch RWBY up until the end of season 8 in and amongst finishing university, getting a job and other irl things.

Honestly, the world of remnant COULD be really, really good. It just...... kinda isn't. A lot of the side characters are really interesting (I especially like Pietro in Atlas and several of the white fang leaders and characters, although I feel that arc was poorly done) and the animation has levelled up significantly. The costume changes alluded to in the thread title are good, Ironwood as a paranoid leader who epitomises the "ends justify the means" is well done.

But it feels like it lacks polish and direction. 90% of the character development is "Person X is sad, person Y comes and tells them it will be okay" and that makes it hard to really root for the main characters. You want them to succeed but not as much as the show hopes you do. I hate to say it, but I've really come to understand why most of the people I know who watch RWBY say "stick to the first 3 seasons".

There have definitely been some areas of improvement, and I will give them props for carrying on in what must have been exceptionally difficult circumstances, but there are a lot of things that still need work.