Quote Originally Posted by Dion View Post
Ah! The Superman Justice method!

1) find a person who needs a beating
2) beat them
3) justice!

I admit that does solve most problems in most comic books before 1990 or so (probably changing around Watchmen, though I’m not a comic book historian).
Ah, I've a news for you.
Every people jailed in the world? Didn't go there by their own will, they were dragged by force (or threat of use of force): violence.
You writing from a pc/phone without someone robbing it from you and bashing your head for good measure? Threat the aforementioned jail time.
You surviving to the germs you inhale with every breath? Microscopic violence of your immune system against germs.

Justice (and is more trivial form: revenge) is a fruit of evolution: if you take revenge on someone who hurt you, they are less likely to do so again, if they are sentient. Zero probabilities, if you outright kill them (in that case that they are sentient or not doesn't matter). And if who saw what you've done when angered is sentient too, they will try to not anger you.

(Mind you, even some will to avoid violence if a fruit of evolution: avoiding bloody conflict when it is not worth the cost)

Quote Originally Posted by danielxcutter View Post
While violence can help solve problems, it’s really best used as a last resort rather than jumping to it as soon as possible.
I remember a quote from Asimov's stories with a similar opinion (as far as I remember it was Hari Seldon, saying that violence is the last resort used by idiots, or something like that). I always missed the logic about it: if violence reaches the desired result, with minor costs, only an idiot would leave it as last resort or, worse, refuse to use it.

Personally I don't find any reason to define something as "last resort", being it violence or kindness, if not a comparison between costs and results.
And that cannot be done generally, without knowing the specifics of the problem, if not defining the use of violence itself as a (quite high) cost. Which removes the interest in the debate: one doesn't want to use the violence because one doesn't. Fair. But who cares?