View Single Post

Thread: Multiclassing/Dipping Shame

1. - Top - End - #36
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Default Re: Multiclassing/Dipping Shame

Quote Originally Posted by Glorthindel View Post
    I feel it is an issue when one of the classes has a considerable roleplay component, but the dip is done purely for mechanical purposes - Warlocks, Clerics, Druids, Paladins, and others, have significant roleplay requirements, that I don't like seeing brushed over in search of a particular level 1 ability.

I definitely have sympathy where a particular character concept can only be constructed with multiclassing, but I do sometime raise an eyebrow if this is claimed frivolously (no, there is absolutely no character concept that requires you to dip Warlock for Hex Warrior, your concept is not damaged by you having to use Str or Dex to hit instead of your maxxed Cha!).
    This exactly. I share many of your aversions to multiclassing, Zousha, because I've experienced more than a few power-gamers who derive enjoyment from "breaking" the game's limits, even when it puts them out of line with the rest of the party. I'm not going to claim that playstyle is WRONG (I see the appeal!), just that it doesn't fit at my table.

That said, multiclassing is a valuable tool in creating interesting characters, whose flavor informs their mechanics and vice versa. I'm working on my own hang-ups and recently started playing a multiclassed monk/ranger to get closer to a "ninja" feel than a pure shadow monk. I suppose the line is that I like "concept-focused" multiclass builds, that use multiclassing to inform a character idea. The ones that I don't tolerate are "power-focused" multiclass builds, that have the effect of outshining other players who don't pour over the books in their spare time.
    Last edited by Dravda; 2021-06-07 at 12:34 PM.