Quote Originally Posted by Vahnavoi View Post
Children are capable of some logic and can follow spoken and visual instructions before they can read or do complex math. Mechanics are fine when they don't rely on the written word, just look at various children's games and board games. Heck, even look at children playing with Lego blocks or other construction sets. I was capable of building a whole Lego set independently from an instruction leaflet at age 4, I didn't learn to read untill 6.

The alternative is to use game mechanics designed with teaching in mind and use the game itself as vehicle for learning the reading and math skills required. That's how I learned English.

"Doing well" by adult standards isn't the point. If the kids are having fun while developing a skill, that is doing well, even if older RPG hobbyists would sneer at what the kids are doing in the game.
True, which is why I was being vague. With a specifically designed character sheet that doesn't get too detailed? I'm sure a 4 year old can handle it. Your average rules medium sheet that an adult gets easily? Not so much.

But yes, it's fully possible to teach a 4 year old to play an RPG. I think I'd still remain freeform at that age though, because who cares if be adults think an RPG needs sheets and dice. If you want to bring such elements into it I think you're right that you use it as a teaching tool, and I'd argue you still keep it incredibly freeform.

I think the real thing here is that, for to m such young kids, look to see if it's related to what they like. Are they reading and/or playing board games? Definitely go for it and user it to help them learn. Otherwise I'd worry that you'd lose the kid, but a parent knows their kid best.

I could read at 4, one of the best in my year, but an RPG would have bored me. Might not have by six, certainly not by 8.

Honestly, if you asked me how old a cold has to be to be introduced to structured roleplay I'd have said four is probably about right. Maybe get some visual aids or toys to help out, but keep it very freeform. Introduce dice if you want, but presubmit keep it as a 'if you're good you need a four or better' level, depending on the kids. But tabletop RPGs are a bigger best where I'd personally wait a couple of years. But every child is different.