1. - Top - End - #1147
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: An Eclectic Collection of Fun and Effective Builds

Quote Originally Posted by Schlendrian View Post
    Hello Ludic,

i am following your builds with much enjoyment. You sometimes talk about unusual tanks and i would love if you could describe the builds you do when you make control/tanking your focus with little used classes for that like lore bards, wizards (especially the invoker and enchanter) and warlocks.

thanks for all your work in this forum
    Okay! It's on my to-do list. Which... continues to have too many things on it. But I made progress on a writeup for a Frontliner Lore Bard writeup today! Stay tuned!

Quote Originally Posted by monkey3 View Post
    I have a feeling I am (way) late to the party, but someone mentioned Celestial Generalist in another thread and so I found it here. I really like how the OP created what he intended (a generalist).
    I did notice something that I see many do. They talk about all the things that go well together, but you can't do them together! I would actually advise against taking Eldritch Sight on this character, if the idea (which I like) is to 24-hour hex and madden it all day. You can't do that with Detect Magic as both Hex and it are concentration. This is yet another overreach of concentration which makes casters not want to cast detect magic, pretty much at any time, since I can't remember my 5+ caster not concentrating on something.
    In this case a single "free" casting of Detect Magic makes you lose your hex and, and you only get 3 of them per short rest.
    Hello and welcome to the party Monkey3! You're not too late, I always read feedback on any and all of my builds. I sometimes even go back and add extra tips'n'tricks to the old ones, so anyone should feel free to speak up!

You're right that you can't spam Eldritch Sight while maintaining Concentration on something else, but it still offers some versatility even if you aren't using it all the time. You don't need to have Hex on all the time (even if you pre-cast it and it lasts 24 hours, your Concentration can break naturally. Or you can just drop it when the need arises -- your first cast is basically "free" as a "1-hour morning ritual" so it's not super high cost if you drop it).

However, that said, I do think that if I were making the build just for myself (rather than demonstrating how I could fill everything on Mjolnirbear's checklist with a single character) I usually would pick one of the utility invocations that do not require Concentration instead, especially with some of the shiny new choices available to Tomelocks these days (like Far Scribe or Gift of the Protectors, both of which I think are really good). Precisely because of the things you're talking about.

You might be interested to look at the second Celestial Warlock I posted on this thread, the Celestial Giftlock / Ever-Living Generalist (which isn't trying to fit anyone's criteria but my own). I'd be curious to hear your feedback on that one!
    Last edited by LudicSavant; 2021-06-10 at 01:40 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by ProsecutorGodot
    If statistics are the concern for game balance I can't think of a more worthwhile person for you to discuss it with, LudicSavant has provided this forum some of the single most useful tools in probability calculations and is a consistent source of sanity checking for this sort of thing.
    An Eclectic Collection of Fun and Effective Builds | Comprehensive DPR Calculator | Monster Resistance Data

Nerull | Wee Jas | Olidammara | Erythnul | Hextor | Corellon Larethian | Lolth | The Deep Ones