View Single Post

Thread: Beholder kids (humanoid beholder race)

1. - Top - End - #9
    Bugbear in the Playground

Daemon

Default Re: Beholder kids (humanoid beholder race)

Quote Originally Posted by sandmote View Post
    I agree the forum isn't the best place to discuss it, but this race does hit a lot of the same problems any particularly human-like small race does, and to higher degree than average. The description of them as pets makes it a bit worse. Maybe add some more details like the yuan-ti purebloods have where they're creepily not quite human if you spend more than a minute looking. That said, I actually like the detail where they literally sleep together instead of having human-like reproduction; it is significantly less disturbing.

For those looking for pictures, humanoids that are explicitly beholderkin usually have the eyestalks. If you want them dropped I'd suggest searching for a cyclops that's not muscular.
    Spoiler: Examples
    Show

Balance notes:
    • Banishing Ray shouldn't last more than a round. Interfering with action economy like that is very strong. A Poisoned or frightened creature can still act, for instance.
    • Charm ray seems a bit strong, especially since you can avoid the target knowing you charmed it by cutting it short after 9 rounds.
    • Putting a single enemy to sleep is likely in line with poisoned and frightened conditions, as long as it takes an action to shake them awake.
    • I like the petrification ray thematically, but see the preceding for why it hard to tell the ray's power. A restraining ray by itself would likely be strong enough to justify cutting it to one round long.
    Whereas a "Spell Ray," I think is a bad idea conceptually. Being able to replicate some spells (ex: acid splash, thaumaturgy) I don't think would fit the fluff, and replicating eldritch blast might become a problem when you can use both rays together. I would maybe grant only some cantrips, and use the opportunity to bring some of the other rays back into line power-wise (like the Charm ray merely casting Friends). For reference, cantrips that probably do work well with eye rays likely include chill touch, firebolt, lightning lure, poison spray, ray of frost, thorn whip, and viscous mockery.

I also assume you're aiming for something comparable to a 1st or 2nd level spell with the main eye powers.
    • Assuring Cone: looks neat, as it functions as an AoE resistance it should be fine.
    • Blinding Cone: 1 minute long, repeated color spray with a 60 foot range is too strong. Yes, I know color spray is a weaker 1st level spell, but you're removing the factors that make it a weaker 1st level spell.
    • Distorting Cone: If this means you can be targeted with melee attacks that have a 5 foot reach, I think it's probably fine. What happens if someone attempts to walk through the cone, though? Do they just spend 10 feet of movement, exiting the cone in any place they like?
    • Gravity Cone: I like it. Would make a good 1st level spell.
    • Obscuring Cone: I'd like to check this means you have disadvantage on attacking a creature, but know which square to aim at. If so, seems fine.
    • Spell-Eating Cone: this makes me nervous. I see the lore reason for it, and it would be great for killing rival beholders. Maybe fine, but if you can get your AC and saves high enough you're unlikely to get hurt and therefore unlikely to need to make cons saves maintain concentration (which is otherwise the main thing keeping from being too strong).
    Ehhh, I took the pet description as being more representative of their creators being incarnate narcissism.

I took a stab at some racial subclasses for monsters, they had a feel more like this, I’ll dig up a link to the write up.
    Last edited by flat_footed; 2021-06-12 at 08:47 AM.