Quote Originally Posted by Lestrange View Post
I'm planning to run a game called Escape from Dino Island. How can I evocatively introduce challenges for my players, and what kinds of threats would you suggest?
Escape From Dino Island is all about improvisation, so as usual I'm overthinking it and planning ahead. What I'm hoping to do is collect a list of encounters (carnivores, herbivores, natural effects etc) as inspiration and quick additions. For a motif, think about Jurassic Park or Journey to the Center of the Earth.
Let's see...

Quote Originally Posted by Pauly View Post
1) the really big carnivores (T-rex and pals) just aren’t interested in the party. The energy expended to nutrition gained just isn’t worth it. Lions don’t hunt mice, so a T-rex isn’t going to hunt a human for food. They will attack if provoked or are defending their young.

2) Herbivores will see human sized critters as dangerous egg thieves if they get near nests.

3) At least some if the herbivores will be rhinoceros/cape buffalo style extremely aggressive defenders. Probably more rhino like in being not too bright and short sighted.

4) Thagomizers are cool and should be referred to as such at any opportunity.
Frankly, I would disregard item #1 from this list. That seems like letting realism get a little too much in the way of fun. The rest are great, and item #4 is solid gold.

Meanwhile, here are a few challenges. (They aren't all necessarily compatible with each other - it depends on what is the Dino Island)
- The PCs must evade or withstand a stampeding herd of ceratopsians... and then face whatever caused the stampede. A wildfire? Tornado? Predator pack?
- It's pachycephalosaur mating season, and the rutting males are high-strung. Best not to get in their way.
- The river is the only way across, but there isn't a ford for miles. Problem is, what could be lurking in those waters?
- Curious troodon wreck some of the camping supplies and/or get into the rations packs.
- What sinister agency has barely-trained theropods patrolling the grounds of its facility, and what is it hiding there?
- An ancient temple is rumoured to hold legendary treasures. You just have to avoid the pack of utahraptors that have taken up residence there. And maybe solve the mystery of who built it.
- Find the professor and the dark secret they've discovered at the centre of the island before your rival (probably a Belloc-like figure) does.