View Single Post

Thread: Killing Tiamat inside a Forcecage

1. - Top - End - #264
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Killing Tiamat inside a Forcecage

Thanks for taking the time to do this a second time over Eldariel.

Honestly, while I may not agree with every call made in the fight, or every ruling (though for the most part I don't really see an issue) fact is most of the things that can be challenged are minor or borderline inconsequential.

If a party with no magic items and access only to the PHB can essentially run over Tiamat with few if any meaningful rulings, then one can only imagine how much easier the fight would be with a bunch of magic items or expanded options going beyond the PHB. Especially in her adventure-given arena, where, as Eldariel pointed out, making her bigger hinders her movement. Would it be different in an open field? Perhaps, though given the ways PCs have of increasing their speed and the fact that longbow users with Sharpshooter can really do a number of her if she spends turns flying about/away I'm not sure how much better it is for the dragon. At least it eliminates the alcove hiding I guess.

Either way, to claim that the aforementioned nitpicking would radically alter the outcome and that Tiamat is a force to be reckoned with is to willfully ignore that the party really is limited. No items, lv14, PHB-only? It should be a stomp on Tiamat's side, or at least heavily favoring her. It's not the case. Even if you claim that the odds aren't in the party's favor, they still have a considerable chance. That's not a CR30 god. Far from it.

I'll have to agree with the conclusion once more. Tiamat needs a bump up.
    Last edited by Chaos Jackal; 2021-06-15 at 04:11 AM.