View Single Post

Thread: DrK's Age of Worms IC pt4

1. - Top - End - #78
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: DrK's Age of Worms IC pt4

"That's what she was, Zarina, but maybe there is an opportunity for her to change," I speak within earshot of the prisoner.

I wait for everyone to gather round before dismissing the chains. "I don't think these will be necessary. You're not going to try and escape, are you Naximarra? You've seen a taste of what we can do to you if you try. And I would find you anyway."

The binding duration wouldn't have lasted much longer, though the storm will rage for hours yet.

"Did you not know, Naximarra? What your mother did to your infant siblings in the marsh? The abominations they became? Did she tell you you were too precious to sacrifice to Kyuss like all the rest of us? Did you believe her?"

I sigh and wave a hand as if these questions are of no matter, and adopt a sympathetic and compassionate expression.

"You say you'll leave this place and none of mine will ever see you again. I don't believe you. But I do believe you want to live, Naximarra. And I didn't come here to kill you or your siblings. I want only to secure safety for the people of Eel Town and the Shanties and make sure all of your mother's works of Kyuss are undone. So I think perhaps I can see how we could spare your life."

"However. I can't just let you go back to preying on the weak, plotting revenge, and indulging your baser instincts. I have an opportunity now to save many from your future self and my Goddess would censure me were I not to take it."

"If I am to spare you, you will have to change. And you will have to learn to want to change, Naximarra. It will be difficult... But not so difficult, I think, as facing your fate in The Abyss."

"Every day people wake up and choose who they are going to be. I firmly believe all it takes to be a different person is sufficient motivation to choose otherwise. I believe you have that motivation Naximarra. You don't want to die, and I don't particularly want to kill you."

"Tell me you would rather change than die and I can give you that chance. I will send you to my mentor Manzorian at the Fortress of Unknown Depths to earn atonement. When we are satisfied you have reformed and are no longer a danger to the innocent, you will then be free."

"Sadly it would be remiss of me not to circle back round to the not trusting you part of this. I don't have to trust you. If you make the choice to live, I will place you under a Quest. It is a powerful curse, not easily removed. If you go back on the terms of our agreement you will sicken until you recant. I could do this against your will, but I won't. You must make this decision freely, or as freely as circumstances allow. Think of it as a locking in of your choice. The casing time is ten minutes and your magical defences will not be an issue," I explain.

"If you would prefer death, we will try and make it painless.
    We can spare a little time for you to make your decision, but our own quest won't wait for long."
    Last edited by RCgothic; 2021-06-16 at 10:41 AM.