Quote Originally Posted by TalksAlone View Post
Hi all. I was unsatisfied with Acid Splash and thought about creating a new acid damage cantrip. This got me thinking about d.o.t. effects in cantrips and I've decided to give home brewing a try:

Corrosive Spew

Conjuration Cantrip
Casting Time: 1 action
Range: 30 feet
Components: V S
Duration: One round (see description)
Classes: Sorcerer, Wizard
You spew a stream of corrosive gas that adheres to a creature or object in range. Make a ranged spell attack against the target. On a hit, if the target is a creature, it takes 1d8 acid damage at the start of it's next turn. If the target is an object the damage takes place at the start of the caster's next turn. The target may not take damage from more than one instance of this spell. This spell's duration increases by one round when you reach 5th level (two rounds), 11th level (three rounds), 17th level (four rounds).

Thoughts?
This spell is incredibly underpowered due to dealing perfectly normal cantrip damage, but on a delay (which is exacerbated by not stacking itself, although things never stack with themselves normally). If you want a deliberately weak NPC to field it, perfectly reasonable, but I wouldn't expect any PC to pick it up.

I would suggest you make the spell Alchemist's Fire/Tasha's Caustic Brew: cut the damage to 1d4, and have it last until someone takes an action to fix it. Change the level scaling to allowing multiple targets, like Eldritch Blast.