Quote Originally Posted by NichG View Post
I find I don't really like dice rolls for resolving things at all now, but I'm also not sure I ever really liked that or if it was just entangled with other things. I'm generally moving away from 'asking to see if you succeed' as a design element entirely, and seeing randomness more in a 'hand of cards' fashion than a pass/fail fashion.
I think the problem is more that some games don't make it clear enough when to roll, or simply ask for too many rolls.

I usually veer on the side of characters being competent when running a game.

When I ask for rolls it's usually because the PCs are being clearly stressed and failure would mean losing time/resources/health, or they're attempting something difficult/dangerous without preparation. Otherwise I assume they know what they're doing if they have the relevant tools or skills at hand.

I've definitely played in campaigns and non-dnd systems that had us rolling for far too much stuff though.

As for stuff that i've grown to dislike?

Theater of the Mind combat for anything beyond simplistic fights and "rule-lite" or "narrative" focused systems; these just don't grok me and i can't get into them. I need me some decent crunch.