Kirsch shakes his head slowly with a faint, bitter smile on his face. When the cousin was found wanting, the late Lord resolved to leave the castle in more capable hands, or so it would appear, and at any rate, the unusual inheritor he would seem to have chosen exercises control over it since the Marquis's departure. The dominion of the kind Lady over Allsatalos and, perhaps, over its holdings as well is but nominal. You certainly remember the incident that Lady Lilet recounted, that of her will being overruled by the decrees of the Father. the lizard folds his arms behind his back before going on. Newly ennobled and of limited magical prowess, the kind Lady is of no concern to the true lord, the one that undertook the task of receiving us in her stead, and even if she could remove the good steward, that would achieve little: it would, by necessity precipitate a violent backlash that she would be powerless to defend against. Kirsch looks up at the ceiling in thought. Emalia is no fool, or at least she wasn't when they would occasionally meet. It is quite probable that she understands as much, and this knowledge must be a heavy burden. But then, he adds, his scales shifting to a friendly hue of green. I strongly hope I am merely underestimating her. I sure would not be the first person to make such a mistake.