I've often enjoyed inflicting a more group based system on my players:

1. Every player rolls an in order sequence of 13 3d6 results and we put them up on the board.
  2. Each of those sequences of 13 numbers represent the in order stat line for one character (as any 7 of the numbers will get dropped).
  3. The players discuss what kind of character and role they want to play in the party and the group then assigns each character a sequence accordingly.

The dictated end result is that the sum of stats for each character must be within 9 points of the others (at the group's choice of either before or after racial bonuses are applied), and every player has to agree to the assignments.

As part of their discussion, and depending on how many players there are, I usually "help" by letting the group have their choice of two modifications, such as:
  • One sequence can be altered by swapping one number with another.
  • One sequence can be used in reversed order.
  • One sequence can be used twice, as long as the resulting stat lines are different.
  • One sequence can be replaced with standard point buy.
  • Any sequence can be altered by lowering one number in it by up to 2.
  • One additional sequence can be rolled and put on the board.
  • One resulting character can be gifted with a free feat.
  • Any resulting character with an unmodified stat sum of 66 or less can have a free feat.

Afterwards we document the acceptable stat sum range and the modifications used, and roll a pool of a few sequences for late additions (new players or dead characters).

Usually the group comes out of this with a better sense of party unity and shared problem solving. Occasionally I come away with some forewarning on unhelpful dynamics in the group.