Quote Originally Posted by J-H View Post
I've occasionally run across a theory that Hollywood, especially the streaming parts (where the P&L is more obscured and they seem to waste tens of millions of dollars on idiotic things like this) is partly used for money laundering. It's one explanation for why they blow big money on junk like this...
Hollywood accounting is a very real thing, but I would think outright money laundering from big names would be a pretty bold move. Smaller studios, I could see it. If Joe Bob Briggs is to be believed and I am remembering his comments correctly, the original Texas Chainsaw Massacre was paid for with mob money and made way more money than anyone publicly realized. But that was the early 70s and possibly just the one movie. I would think the whole operation is too public to risk that, but greed can overwhelm common sense so maybe. I have heard that Uwe Boll was able to be bankrolled by German investors due to German tax law. The investors expected the movies to fail. A set up similar to The Producers essentially.