View Single Post

Thread: A Misdirection of Magicians (IC)

1. - Top - End - #120
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: A Misdirection of Magicians (IC)

Megamax and Victor (Guest Spa, West Wing, Second Floor)

"... the Cleaver's of the mood to cut you down..." and it's like the oxygen is sucked from the steamy room. Victor watches Baron Vorgus' mouth hang open such that a dribble of champagne rolls down his chin. Duke Orbal's grin does not disappear but his surprised eyes stare at the hedge wall in expectation.

Dominique's head rolls to face Megamax's direction as she finishes speaking. The green face mask and cucumber eyes take on a menacing quality. There is a healthy silence, then Dominique emits a bark of amusement followed so closely by Orbal's own laughter less keen ears would believe they happened in unison.

"They must be a hard-nosed lot in the Red Coven, wherever that is," Dominique says relaxing back into her previous repose.

"Th-the Valley of Fire," offers Baron Vorgus attempting an airy tone, though there is a concerned-ashamed-childish giggle contained in his voice.

"Oh," grunts Dominique. "I don't know much about it, I guess."

"But you have hit the nail on the head," Duke Orbal adds. "They are a 'hard-nosed lot,' indeed. Though we are blessed to have the fairest of their number joining us on this fine occasion." He raises his champagne flute in a toast only seen by the Vorgus and Victor.

Those words do cause Dominique the Cleaver's hand, recently scoured calluses still raw upon it, to rise from the foam and lift a cucumber long enough to takes a one-eyed gander at Megamax. She snorts at the sight, whether derogatory or in acceptance, it is hard to determine. The cucumber falls back into place.

Dominique begins, "Valley of Fire, huh? That's near where you're from, Orbal. Gnomon, on the edge of the Thousand Towers, right? Tell us again what you did there?"

Victor watches Baron Vorgus, finally cooling from the momentary tension, turn with all curiosity to the Duke, the fat around his eyes pulled wide with interest.

The Duke isn't smiling for once. "You'll have to forgive your tub-mate, Lady Maximus. She has a very blunt edge to her social skills. They lack practice, you see, with suitable sorts."

"Eat me, Orbal." Despite the thick mint-scented cream upon Dominique's face, Megamax can see she is smiling.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    It is clear, Dominique the Cleaver is very unschooled in nobility and royalty (and history, geography, and local matters) if she could not connect the Red Coven to the Valley of Fire.

Gnomon is a major trade city on the near, northern edge of the Land of One-Thousand Towers across the gulf from the Sandrinel Alliance (so just off the world map I posted in the OOC's second post under the Geographical Information spoiler). Like all settlements there it is ruled by some kind of spellcasting overlord. Any further information about it would require knowledge checks.
    Last edited by Erelamar; 2021-07-10 at 11:20 PM.