Morning, pre-travel

Sam's giddiness at being able to fly with his newly grown wings seems infectious, and causes Vala to burst into melodic laughter and clapping. "I guess you really will be able to go anywhere now," she says smiling as she packs up her cooking equipment from breakfast. "Careful not to get kidnapped by a traveling circus, it'd be a shame if we had to rescue you from a bunch of carnival folk, though that might be an adventure all on its own!" It seems parts of her concern are dispelled by Sam's performance, giving her some more assuredness that the party hasn't quite yet all gone off the dark end.

Later, below, the augury ritual settles into your minds, and as the question is asked you all feel a sense of a divine presence among you. Perhaps Deneir, perhaps merely one of his agents, but the contact is clearly established. The consecrated candle drips its wax down, forming a pattern that makes sense to only Senna and would need to be relayed by her, rather than intuited by the audience. In response to Grepha's question, such as it was, the answer is undeniable - Woe.

Desecrated Battlefield

Sam's investigation of the chests, even with Grepha's assistance, finds nothing. That doesn't mean there is something there, and also doesn't mean there isn't something there, it's just that they don't find anything further. By all accounts the locks (and the now-dead ogre guards) seem to have been all that existed to keep the contents safe, without any need for a separate compartment for additional security. Once Caelyn sets herself down and prepares the extended casting of her land rejuvenation spell, it leaves Senna and Sam some time to go over the other items you've recovered and investigate the goblinoid note recovered from Ardenor. Thankfully, none of the items - including the note - seem to be cursed. Magical in nature, yes. Unsurprisingly beneficial given their use by the Blacktalon and Chill commanders, though how useful they are to the party in particular is another question entirely.

Rejuvenating what was lost is a slow process for Caelyn, but forests spring back after wildfires usually within a few months. Life tends to find a way, and that which was once turned ashen will eventually return to life once more. The casting of the spell is mentally and physically taxing - a full eight hours of quiet chanting and precise somatic movements would be a lot for anyone, but especially for the young druid who has yet to try something like this before. Your efforts are rewarded before long however. Sprouts of grass begin to poke up from beneath the dust and scorched earth, slowly filling your vision as they become more and more prominent. Vines and bushes spring up to cover the bodies, that they might also nourish the earth in time. The sound of broken trees falling is a common noise for you all as Caelyn continues to channel her spell, the newly grown replacement trees springing up and dethroning their dead predecessors.

By the time you've finished, night has fallen. It's not the same as it was. The smell of burned death still lingers in the air, the trees are shorter. They don't tower over you or block the sky - yet. Patches of black ground still exist, but interspersed by criss crossing patches and lines of newly grown fresh scented grass. What would have taken months to come back instead took less than a day. A quiet whisper fills Caelyn mind as her efforts are completed, "Your actions caused much suffering," There's disapproval, but the tone warms quickly as it continues, "Yet you have done well in returning some of that which was lost. I know the broken staff you carry. If you wish for it to take on the energy of the rejuvenated land, set it in the earth and wait."

Spoiler: Goblinoid Note
Show

If you're reading this then it means you killed me. Always knew I was gonna go out fighting. Best I can hope for is that I gave as good as I got. My loot's yours by right. Left it with a friend in the town of Ulgoth's Beard. Find Nikolai Svarigar, tell him that Ardenor cashed in his chips.

Best hope we don't run into each other in the next life, or I'll take back what's mine.

Spoiler: Item Identification
Show

Spoiler: Tenhammer's Full Plate
Show

Platemail of Thorns
When you are attacked by another creature within 5', you can use your reaction to deal 2d4 force damage to the attacker.

Spoiler: Tenhammer's Maul
Show

Earthrending Maul
When you hit a creature with this maul, the ground beneath their feet becomes difficult terrain.

Spoiler: Ardenor's Longbow
Show

Longbow of Marskmanship
This longbow has +1 to attack (but not damage) rolls. It also has a Normal attack range of 600', and no Long attack range.

Spoiler: Ardenor's Half-Plate
Show

Bladebreaker's Half-Plate
When you are attacked by a non-magical weapon, and the attacker rolls a 1, the weapon shatters and becomes unusable.

Spoiler: Bahamut Necklace
Show

Heart of the Platinum Lord
Requires attunement
A creature with a breath weapon who wears this necklace gets one additional use per short or long rest of that breath weapon. They can also choose to change the damage type to Force.