1. - Top - End - #192
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Magic: The Gathering Thread XXV: 3 Vorthoses barely clinging to sanity and 45 Spi

Quote Originally Posted by Techwarrior View Post
    In that vein, this is basically Vicious Rumors + Divination. I would almost certainly say this effect is UB, with a generic mana component to bump it up to a fair total mana cost.

More interesting is that "exile 5 cards at random from your graveyard" portion. This is almost certainly not worth retaining as is. What if I have half my Yorion deck in my yard? Can you imagine trying to randomly generate 1-40, then 1-39, etc in a live event? No thank you. Imo, this should just be "exile 5 cards from their graveyard."

Divination plus Vicious Rumors would be UB2. I'd say this is slightly more powerful than just that though. UB3 is almost certainly fair.

I think it's more interesting to ask why you need this effect explicitly?
    The basic concept is "A spell that makes each opponent discard, and which also nets you +1 card in hand. Then, add additional effects that are (theoretically) just barely enough to prevent it from ever accidentally aiding an opponent (as unlikely as that would be in the first place)"

If an opponent is running Mill or pure Control, you put made yourself two cards closer to decking out... so, it also makes them three cards closer.
    If an opponent is running Reanimator or Dredge, you just put four things into a potential resource-pool for them... so, it also takes five out.

Yeah, it's unlikely to matter... but that's kinda the point; it's all about being thorough with your sabotage. So yes: it's very much meant as a UB card.

I agree that letting the caster choose is probably a better idea than randomizing it, for the reason you mentioned.
    Last edited by enderlord99; 2021-07-24 at 05:13 PM.
    Spoiler: Vanity quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Strigon View Post
    Wow.
    That took a very sudden turn for the dark.

I salute you.
    Quote Originally Posted by AuthorGirl View Post
    I wish it was possible to upvote here.

I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm. If there are none present, I probably believe what I am saying; should it turn out to be inaccurate trivia, please tell me rather than trying to play along with an apparent joke I don't know I'm making.