View Single Post

Thread: Web Serials

1. - Top - End - #57
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

Default Re: Web Serials

Quote Originally Posted by Blueiji View Post
    Worm (as well as Wildbow’s work in general) has already been mentioned a few times in this thread, but I’ll chime in to say: it’s a hell of a lot of fun to read alongside friends.

Worm’s combination of long-running plot, sprawling worldbuilding, constant questions/theory-bait, and high capacity for picking favorites/making your own characters means that enjoying it as a social experience works exceptionally well. This doesn’t mean you need a regimented bookclub—even having just a few friends reading it in a roughly contemporaneous manner will result in a hell of a lot of fun group discussions, theory-crafting sessions, and returns to the ever-popular “what would your Parahuman power be?” question.

tl;dr For a 1.6 million word long web-serial best read during antisocial 4am binges, Worm is a surprisingly fun at parties.
    Speaking of Worm group activities, Wildbow was, at one point, in the process of making a tabletop RPG based on Worm.

The mechanical side of things was, as far as I know, never finished, but the mechanics for 'choosing' your powers were, and are quite cool. Let me see if I can find that link...

Here we go. Weaver Dice
    Ah, and here's a newer version. Weaverdice (character creation)

One thing I've wanted to try for a while is taking the Weaverdice character creation method for a group, and then the group works together to build and play those characters in HERO 6E (if you want to get really granular) or Masks (much easier, but also much more 'broad-strokes') or something.
    Last edited by PoeticallyPsyco; 2021-08-04 at 12:59 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Darths & Droids
    When you combine the two most devious, sneaky, manipulative, underhanded, cunning, and diabolical forces in the known universe, the consequences can be world-shattering. Those forces are, of course, players and GMs.
    Optimization Trophies

Looking for a finished webcomic to read, or want to recommend one to others? Check out my Completed Webcomics You'd Recommend II thread!

Or perhaps you want something Halloweeny for the season? Halloween Webcomics II