Quote Originally Posted by Catullus64 View Post
Firstly, I don't actually have any nostalgia for this game; I never heard of it before a month or two ago.

Simplicity is the big draw. It's a lot easier to just pick up and play. Only familiar with one of the games you listed, but compared to, say, Descent, it takes a fraction of the time to learn or set up.

The Quest Book has a lot of really fun scenarios that use the simple ruleset to create dungeons of surprising variety. Particular shoutouts go to Melar's Maze and Castle of Mystery. The expansions, particularly Return of the Witch Lord, go even crazier with expanded options and neat twists on the basic formula.

The art style of the classic game (which I do not in fact own) is very neat from what I can see.
I can’t argue with the draw of simplicity. My concern is does it give you enough options to keep the gameplay from getting monotonous? Do you have combat options other than just trying to roll lucky? Does the variety of scenarios and the exploration do most of the work keeping things fresh, or is the fact that it doesn’t require your full attention and you can also just hang out part of the charm?