Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
I might be outnumbered here, but I can't get behind a fractional CR for these guys. Game stats aside:
1) an AoE stun bomb that fills a dungeon room is brutal, and
2) no way will the PCs find just a single screamer without a bunch of its standard shambler friends, who are conveniently immune to the stun bomb. Sorry but I've seen way too many zombie movies. One of those things screams, its friends come running. Er, walking. Er...they will get there eventually, is the general idea.

So my concern is not their numbers, but the maximum potential in their element. So I'm suggesting CR 1, even though one-on-party a level 1 party would crush it, because I don't see that ever coming up.

Have you considered giving them a vulnerability? A first-level party turns the corner and bumps into one, I'm not sure they can all unload on it fast enough to keep it from screaming with just standard damage numbers, so even if they're smart and "everyone focus" they're a significant threat. How about "takes double damage from piercing weapons when Scream is charged" aka "pop the balloon"? Or "cannot Scream while on fire"?

P.S. I'd feel a lot better about a lower CR if I knew for a fact the entire campaign was outdoors, where a 20ft radius stun bomb could be "denoated" at long range.
If it eases any concerns it's a modern campaign so each PC is carrying a 2d6+dex or 2d8+dex ranged weapon with them at all times.