1. - Top - End - #23
    Halfling in the Playground

BlackDragon

Default Re: I am doing something wrong and I don't know what

Example the Second

Serenity:

Again, spoilers for anyone who's been stranded in the vasty nothingness for decades.

Mal vs the Operative. Crew vs the Reavers. Everybody vs the entire gorram Alliance Fleet plus fully power-armored kill teams.

Man. Really stepped in it here. I mean, this fight isn't just unwinnable...it's not even going to be close. They're just gonna get slaughtered. The Operative smashed the transmitter...duh...so no path to victory. Why wouldn't they just RUN?!

Oh, right, Wash rolled a whole BUNCH of ones.

How did we even GET here? You TOLD the PCs Miranda was beyond Reaver space! The whole Mr. Universe thing -- how could they NOT realize those comm channels were not secure?! You showed them that they were in the feeds at the beginning of this adventure!

Even reinforced that point when you GRUESOMELY MURDERED everyone they spoke to on those comms -- now there's no one to come to the rescue.

Okay. Deep breaths. Take a break to get a drink, buy some time. We can fix this.

The Operative smashed the transmitter, so...new SECRET transmitter. Will have to be hidden...hard to get to...to explain why it survived. One hurdle down.

Oh. Great. Now they wanna split the party! Because THAT always fixes everything! I should just kill them. Just kill them all.

No, no, You are the master of my own table. You put a lot of work into this. You can save this. You *will* save it!

The Reavers. Did they really have to piss off literally every one of the biggest baddest boogeymen you could devise? You're supposed to RUN from Reavers! You only made them to have a reliable scary thing you could use to move them along and keep them out when you wanted to! Gorram it PCs!

They're going to need a chokepoint, some seriously favorable ground. That should hold them awhile as long as nobody...GORRAM IT!

Okay okay...You've got that whole unresolved plot point from River's voluminous backstory that she insisted on having. You figured the "killed them with math" scene and maybe that bar fight was the end of that but what the heck, desperate times.

Oh. Man. You wish you hadn't made this Operative so tough, but he was supposed to fight the whole party, not just Mal! Crap. Wait wait wait...what's this useless Flaw he took at CharGen to get that Quick Draw Feat? He lost a nerve plexus...how useless...

...unless...

It. Just. Might. Work.

-Jn-
    Ifriti Sophist
    Last edited by JoeNapalm; 2021-08-25 at 02:39 PM.