I liked this episode for the most part, though it was not without its flaws. I felt like the setup was a little contrived with Data having to act a bit more obtuse than usual in order for Pulaski's criticisms to seem reasonable, and I'm not sure the computer should be capable of creating a sentient Dr. Moriarty like that, but if you don't think too hard about it I guess it's fine.

I do consider this one of if not the most egregious episode in terms of Dr. Pulaski picking on Data, but she does at least learn from it. This should have been when the attempt at recreating the Spock/McCoy dynamic was laid to rest or at least allowed to evolve in a more different direction.

Quote Originally Posted by russdm View Post
Of course it did give the doctor some interesting uses opposed to boring Crusher.

<snip>

Crusher is basically tied to picard and wesley and has little else. Dr.p has no ties to picard and is older and has a different personality.
I never used to feel this way, but I actually kinda agree with this. I'm in early season 3 on my own TNG rewatch right now, and I find myself actually missing Dr. Pulaski and being rather bored with Dr. Crusher. I always liked Gates McFadden, but other than being Wesley's mom and an occasional romantic foil for Captain Picard (which they haven't really explored much at this point in the series) she doesn't have much going for her in terms of personality or storylines. At this point she barely has any more character development than Tasha did, if even that much.