1. - Top - End - #694
    Bugbear in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

Default Re: Got a Real-World Weapon, Armour or Tactics Question? Mk. XXIX

Anybody know much of anything about chariotry?

I'm writing something in a setting where horse-breeding has not advanced to the point where horses can be ridden, at least not in war. That's a product of other setting details and elements that don't need getting into. Chariotry is therefore the primary military occupation of the aristocracy in this setting.

I thought about asking a specific question about chariots, but why narrow the field of contributions? I'll ask a bunch of 'em. The period for chariot use is a bit narrower than cavalry (I think?), so hopefully these questions aren't too broad to be useful.

• How well can chariots operate in any terrain more difficult than a perfectly flat plain?
    • How do you fight from a chariot (this is a big one)?
    • How would chariots be organized for usage in war? Were they grouped into units? How many chariots can effectively operate in concert?
    • What are some key features which set chariots apart (for good or ill) from cavalry on the battlefield?
    • One horse, two horse, red horse, blue horse I mean, how many horses were typical for war chariots? Similar question about the number of occupants.
    • How might the values of a chariot-based warrior aristocracy differ from those of a cavalry-based system?
    • Is there historical record for what I'll call the "Homeric" style of chariot fighting, where chariots seem to essentially serve as a delivery system for warriors fighting on foot?
    • In societies where chariot fighters were high-status individuals (which I understand to have been mostly the case) what would the status of drivers be? Slightly-lower status? Slaves or commoners? Older, younger?

As usual, links to good primary sources are the greatest gift you can give, but I'm greedy for inspiration. Secondary sources, or even works of fiction that represent it really well are nice.
    Last edited by Catullus64; 2021-09-02 at 07:23 PM.
    The desire to appear clever often impedes actually being so.

What makes the vanity of others offensive is the fact that it wounds our own.

Quarrels don't last long if the fault is only on one side.

Nothing is given so generously as advice.

We hardly ever find anyone of good sense, except those who agree with us.

-Francois, Duc de La Rochefoucauld