1. - Top - End - #49
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Default Re: Let's Get Real - the DM's responsibility is balance

Quote Originally Posted by Pex View Post
    The issue is some people want the fighter to be given a class specific power button for an out of combat thing. They are upset spellcasters get them, namely spells. Other people don't want that but are happy the fighter can do out of combat things via character non-class specific game mechanics and aren't bothered spellcasters also get class specific button powers to do out of combat things. They whole heartedly objected to the idea of a fighter being given a button power to do an out of combat thing. I told them if that's what they want they need to stop complaining fighters can't do things out of combat.
    Right. The issue isn't that the Fighter can't climb trees with an Athletics check. The issue is that a spellcaster can cast Mage Hand without even rolling a dice.

Let's be clear:
    Save DC - Acid Splash, Poison Spray
    Spell Attack - Chill Touch, Fire Bolt, Ray of Frost, Shocking Grasp

These are, for all intents and purposes, attack spells. This is what a Wizard can do one of these things, every turn, in combat. These things also scale. Just like Extra Attack does. These spells are also Cantrips, and cost zero resources, just like an Attack action. You can do them infinitely. We'll also remember that a Dragon Sorcerer at Level 6 will gain their casting stat to damage as well. Then of course no-one should ever forget that it's a Warlock, that is commonly understood to be the baseline for damage.

When a Wizard hits 5th Level, all their Cantrips are boosted, of course. But, additionally, let's say that twice per day, as a resource, they can cast Fireball in combat. Secondly Fireball sets everything on fire (DMs forget this...The book that was on the table, that the party was sent to get? It's burned to a crisp now because you cast Fireball in the boss' room. Quest failed.), which has several uses. I'm ignoring 1st Level spells per day that they can also do. And I'm ignoring the 2nd Level spells per day that they can also do.

At 5th Level, in combat the Fighter gets to umm...Yeah...Twice per day. Not equal.

Spellcasters are fantastic in combat. Anyone who says otherwise, is simply not reading the book.

Now, the major balance issue, is that Spellcasters aren't just good in combat. They can do basically anything.

No resource abilities, at-will (Wizard):
    Dancing Lights, Friends, Light, Mage Hand, Mending, Message, Minor Illusion.

I'm not even going to discuss leveled spells. But there you go. Those are Cantrips that every single Wizard has access to, and can choose from, in addition to choosing what weapon spell attacks they'll have. ...Also Wizards can make weapon attacks, too, but y'know. Let's stay focussed. They even get more Cantrips as they go along. Again, this is what a Wizard can do outside of combat, without spending any resources and largely not even rolling any dice for a chance of failure.

A Fighter, chooses one Fighting style...And it wasn't until Tasha's that they could even change it (without DM fiat), and even then they can only change it every 4th Level.

The magic system needs to be neutered. First thing that needs to done is to hard limit each individual character to particular schools of magic, so that spellcasters can do anything, but they can't do everything.
    Last edited by Cheesegear; 2021-09-07 at 05:18 PM.
    Spoiler: My Mum Says I'm Cool
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Anuan View Post
    Cheesegear; Lovable Thesaurus ItP.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post
    Cheesegear, have I told you yet that you're awesome?
    Quote Originally Posted by MeatShield#236 View Post
    ALL HAIL LORD CHEESEGEAR! Cheese for the cheesegear!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shas'aia Toriia View Post
    Cheesegear is awesome