1. - Top - End - #56
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Let's Get Real - the DM's responsibility is balance

Quote Originally Posted by ad_hoc View Post
    You already only roll when doing mundane things. Proficiency is not even required.

Ability checks should only be called when:

1. The outcome is in doubt
    2. There are meaningful consequences for failure
    3. It's interesting

Most of the time the characters should just be able to do things. No rolling for walking across the room.
    I agree, it just seems we just use that to ignore the most mundane of results. I'm saying take that a step further.

Put another way, unless there is significant risk of injury or a negative consequence, skills automatically succeed. When a roll does need to be made, it is only made because the challenge at hand is something a normal person cannot reasonably deal with, even if it's a DC 10.

Kinda like if you reduced the DC of all skills by 5, and then made anything that was "Easy" as now an automatic success. Essentially, you're just making skill proficiencies overpowered, although I sincerely doubt anyone can buff them to the point of being OP. Which is kinda the point.

We universally have this belief they're really limited, but there's virtually no benefit for them to be that way. Worst-case scenario, the Rogue or Bard with Expertise does things you normally would think someone twice their level would do, but...what's the harm in that? Does a Rogue being good at stealth make the game worse?
    Last edited by Man_Over_Game; 2021-09-07 at 07:18 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by KOLE View Post
    MOG, design a darn RPG system. Seriously, the amount of ideas I’ve gleaned from your posts has been valuable. You’re a gem of the community here.

5th Edition Homebrewery
    Prestige Options, changing primary attributes to open a world of new multiclassing.
    Adrenaline Surge, fitting Short Rests into combat to fix bosses/Short Rest Classes.
    Pain, using Exhaustion to make tactical martial combatants.
    Fate Sorcery, lucky winner of the 5e D&D Subclass Contest VII!