1. - Top - End - #57
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Default Re: Let's Get Real - the DM's responsibility is balance

Quote Originally Posted by Man_Over_Game View Post
    Instead of focusing on magical items, I think a better solution would be to fix the skill system.
    A Fighter with INT 12 and proficiency in Arcana, has a Passive Arcana of 13 at Level 1:
    - The Fighter will never cast spells from Scrolls,
    - The Fighter can't attune to even to some basic items like Wands.

In order to do anything, the Fighter must become an Eldritch Knight, or multi-classes later. This ties into what PhoenixPyre said; The endgame is simply 'Everyone is Spellcasters'. Now, that's fine. I, personally, have no problems at all if everyone at my table plays spellcasters.

However, someone earlier misconstrued the point I was making. But now I'm making the point for real. Playing a spellcaster is hard, and requires real-world brain power and effort to comprehend. You need to remember the difference between VS and VSM, and whether or not you need a free hand. You need to bookkeep your spell slots. You need to remember how Concentration works, and of course you need to understand the difference between Spell DC and Spell Attack, etc.

Which I think actually does cause a problem IRL, not in the game.
    If you, personally don't have the brain-power and diligence to track your spellcasting, you can only play mechanically worse characters. As someone earlier pointed out, the Fighter (Champion) is designed specifically the way it is, for a very good reason. Certain classes and subclasses are simpler to play, by design.

You don't have to think about what to do because you don't have a lot of choices; Attack with Polearm, or Attack with Polearm, but angrier. Very easy. You know what to do. Do it.

And therein lies the problem. People who are unwilling to play spellcasters, are often envious of those who do play spellcasters, and that causes problems.
    (And holy **** if you couldn't apply that sentence to the real world by replacing 'play spellcasters' with...Anything.]

'I want to play a Barbarian, because they're easy to play...But also I want to cast Fireballs because I don't like that every round of combat is the same for me...'
    Last edited by Cheesegear; 2021-09-07 at 07:29 PM.
    Spoiler: My Mum Says I'm Cool
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Anuan View Post
    Cheesegear; Lovable Thesaurus ItP.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post
    Cheesegear, have I told you yet that you're awesome?
    Quote Originally Posted by MeatShield#236 View Post
    ALL HAIL LORD CHEESEGEAR! Cheese for the cheesegear!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shas'aia Toriia View Post
    Cheesegear is awesome