1. - Top - End - #31
    Barbarian in the Playground

ClericGuy

Default Re: Shang-Chi And The Legend Of The Ten Rings (2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Cen View Post
    And his sister said she trained HERSELF while he was on trainning bordering with torture... and she is better then him? I smell ****e.
    This seems like an unfair reading. They fight exactly once, in a fight she's clearly prepared for and he's in shock to be fighting his sister and is unwilling to actually fight. I don't think we have any idea who would win a fight if they went all out. That's clearly being set up, given the ending, so we'll see and I'll be shocked if she wins (ETA) due to anything but surprise. Also, we're seeing her after an addition six years of self-training (via rather direct copying of the training Shang-Chi and other members of the 10 Rings were doing) and four years out in the world fighting folks.

Now, there's certainly a question of, she went out into the world of the Snap and set up an underground fight club? That was really what was needed and profitable? But the MCU is doubling down real hard on the notion that things weren't that different during the Snap (everywhere but in Falcon and the Winter Soldier, at least). Hence how Hawkeye could be running around butchering criminals instead of (both him and the criminals) struggling to survive.

Aquafina... that's a weird name wasn't she this dolphin rapper in BoJack? got superduper good with bow and arrow after one day of training... beacause of course she did.
    I'd assumed the Awkwafina played Aquafina, but apparently not? And the BoJack wiki claims that that character is based on Christina Aguilera? That is a weird coincidence, if it is a coincidence.

I objected to Katy taking the shot above, but to be fair to the show, there's no indication that this is an incredibly hard shot or anything, just that it has to be made and the other archers are a bit busy dying. Now, I missed the archery training section (bathroom break) so I don't know how that went and can't comment.

I miss times where male lead was allowed to be good at something without being humiliated by 'a brave strong and powerful female'.
    This seems incredibly unfair given how good at combat we're shown Shang-Chi is. You'll notice his sister never even tries to fight their father, or figures out the magical monk power-up, or does much of anything in Ta-Lo besides fight a losing battle against the 10 Rings, then fight a losing battle against the monsters, then need to be rescued along with everyone else by Shang-Chi.

The closest Shang-Chi comes to humiliation comes at the hands of his father and even that isn't really humiliation because he keeps on coming back for another fight.
    Last edited by ecarden; 2021-09-08 at 08:51 AM.