1. - Top - End - #42
    Orc in the Playground

BardGirl

Default Re: Shang-Chi And The Legend Of The Ten Rings (2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Mordar View Post
    Have to disagree. Acceptable in the two-part format, I think.
    Spoiler
    Show
    How else could he lie to Katy about it? Show the truth and hear the lie? Good for some films, but would probably confuse a lot of viewers in this one. A second flashback? We've already seen his skills in two major fights by the time he admits it, so an action scene from when he was 14 (?) probably just regresses.

- M
    Spoiler
    Show
    Well, there could have been two flashbacks, one with the lie and one with the truth. Or just the second one.

It just felt unsatisfying to have such a pivotal moment, where the hero's life changes and he rebels against his own family, to be entirely off camera. It's kind of like Black Panther if we never see Klaw or Killmonger die, just someone else saying "Trust me on this."

Though you do remind me of something I do like, which is

Spoiler: More minor spoilers
    Show
    the movie doesn't do the obvious "You LIED to me, I can never trust you again!" subplot with him and Katie. She largely accepts that yeah, she can understand why he'd keep a past like that to himself and that she probably wouldn't have believed him if he had told her. And I also appreciated that they DON'T hook up at the end and just stay friends.
    Last edited by Azuresun; 2021-09-10 at 07:00 AM.