Satisfactory, I'd say.

Quote Originally Posted by Catullus64 View Post
I liked the movie and don't have much to say about it, apart from one petty fanboy gripe:

Spoiler
Show
Was anyone disappointed that what appeared from the trailers to be Fin Fang Foom just turned out to be the far less interesting Abomination?
Spoiler: yes, but
Show
I'm not sure how you saw Abomination in a cage fight and thought it was Foom, but there is the image with the dragon's face in the water that came out prior (I don't watch trailers, so Idk when or how it was shown, just that I saw it a while ago) that I took to be Foom, and thus share in your disappointment. Sadly, I've been miffed by the lack of both the dragon and a real Mandarin ever since Iron Man. What's even more annoying is that many have said that the soul-stealer kaiju is supposed to have been Foom, ugh. As they were spinning the legend within the film, I started to expect Annihilus, but that wasn't even close (closer than Foom, though). So, I can admit when my comics knowledge is lacking, but I have zero context for what these monsters were supposed to be.

Spoiler: Personal speculations
Show

Shang-chi's assassination target was Katie's grandfather.

The rings are Celestial tech, setting up connections with the Eternals. Somehow they'll all have to be returned to their power plant to be the ultimate maguffin.

Part of me still really wants Trevor to be the character that is the Mandarin, even if they don't use that name.

Some people seem to have missed that those other ancient cities in the secret world were wiped out by the soul-stealer, and that they pretty much only exist by the grace of their Great Protector. They're sole purpose is to protect the gate from outside influences - they have no power to stop the big bad. That the big bad has this telepathic link to the rings-bearer needed a bit more fleshing out, because it seems like if this was a fact that was understood as possible, methinks someone ought to have gone into the world and collected those rings, OR maybe they should have left the guy wielding them come join them and disarm him with the power of love (as did happen) so they could have prevented anyone using them on the gate. I dunno. But the voice-in-your-head thing bothered me.

Wong's lack of knowledge about the rings also bothered me as much as the rings not having individual powers, which isn't actually that much of a bother considering the other accepted changes that the MCU has wrought.
It just does feel clumsy that an ancient warlord managed to conquer so much territory under various names but his organization was always called the same thing with the same thug tattoos. Seems like maybe somebody would have made a connection somewhere. I guess if he always knew where his kids were, the rings may be giving him some sort of unseen powers over information? Stretching.

Waiting now for the next open world video game that hides an entire village behind a waterfall.