Quote Originally Posted by Thunderous Mojo View Post
Do you want me to write up 7 years of DM-ing notes? DPR is but one consideration in a Roleplaying game.

The 13th level Monk, in one of my games, does just fine in overall contribution compared to their Hexbow Warlock/Paladin party member that has an Oathbow.

Just like I wouldn't expect a miniature poodle to weigh anywhere close to an Elephant, I don't expect a Monk to spike damage like a Hexblade.

If 7 years into 5e, you can't seem to find value in the monk class, despite attempts to...then the issue lies with the style of game that is being ran.

I'm not saying that as an insult. Certain classes and play-styles fit some games better than others.

A character devoted solely to Melee Attacks, and nothing else...isn't going to fair well in the style of games I run.....a Manticore is going to Spike Throw and Hit and Run that character to death....let alone that combat is a small fraction of my game.

Since I recognize this, I don't denounce GMW builds as not being able to match the baselines of other classes in other segments of the game and thus "suck".

If DPR is the prime overriding concern of your style of game ...instead of altering the whole class...a more measured option,(to my thinking), is to give the monk a damage boosting item such as a Flame Tongue.

It is much simpler to add or remove items from a game as opposed to performing complete class re-writes. When class re-writes fail to please, the campaign itself tends to flounder.
I want an answer to the question. How is your 13th level monk "doing fine in overall contribution"? It doesn't have to be all about damage, I recognize that. Is is supporting other party members, providing noncombat utility, mitigating incoming damage, what? Don't just aggressively spout generalities at people. What is the monk doing, in-combat or out, that you feel is providing an impact.