Quote Originally Posted by strangebloke View Post
Completely unnecessary. Monks don't need to weave in and out of combat, and if you want to do that, several subclasses have more interesting ways of doing this already.
Given how prevalent the opinion is that Mobility is a feat tax for monks, I would guess more people feel like monk should be dipping in-and-out of melee. This is my solution to the same problem Treantmonk and Kane0 see with the monk's action economy: if you want to benefit from the monk's mobility you need to lose out on damage output (which I think lower than something like a TWF rogue).
I don't like hand-holding mechanics. If people want to waste all their ki on SS that's on them, its not a fault of the system. Personally I'm wholly against reducing monk's flexibility, as that's one of it's core appeals.
Actually, this one is an artifact from when I had a different capstone. I can probably remove it here.
Hm. One of the things I conventionally really like about monk is that it has a few features like this at high levels that are actually really appealing. Personally I don't see a need to give this to the monk this early. They're plenty strong at 9th level.
I agree with Treantmonk that one of the monks supposed strengths (its high defenses) doesn't really see play at most tables. Sure, they have Evasion before Tier 3, but so does the rogue. I shuffle it around so that an average monk player might be able to benefit from it before the campaign ends.
Kensei has this exact ability at 17th. Kinda seems meh.
My tweaks are primarily focused around the PHB. If a player ever came to me with a kensei, I'd rework the sublcass as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Bjarkmundur View Post
When you spend ki as a part of your action you can strike, but the only feature that spends ki as a part of an action is The stunning strike?
That is an adaptation of one of the optional class features from Tasha's Cauldron of Everything. It is also worth noting that most subclasses for monk give ki features that use an action.