1. - Top - End - #95
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Does anyone else feel that their players kinda fetishize Royalty?

Quote Originally Posted by paladinofshojo View Post
    Putting aside the fact that I loathe the idea of the “good king” archetype as a symbol of legitimate authority. There are two reasons why I won’t go this route.

1) If you have a benevolent monarch that is actually competent, chances are your setting is idealistic where there is little to no corruption or abuses of power, no infighting, no turf wars between nobles. And that just sounds way too boring. Why would a stable nation need morally compromised mercenaries?

2) This is supposed to be a sandbox game where the players decide their own stories, if I introduce some “big good” character then it stops being about the player characters and starts being all about the “big good” character and how they plan on creating change to establish more equality and justice for all.

Imagine the players believing there is absolutely no good person in the entire setting and that fundamentally any who would end up ruling would be evil and corrupt.
    That does not makes them want to overthrow the current evil and corrupt kings.
    So you need people with good goals to be here and to prove that if the current evil is overthrown that it can be replaced by better people.
    Ex: some rebels that says that if in power they would not murder people for fun, stop making ritual sacrifices every day and reduce taxes enough for commoners to live instead of them dying of overworking.

Tldr: If there is no good people to replace the bad people then there is no reason to do stuff against the bad people thus leading to the situation you are experiencing.
    It is the "if there was only life hating skeletons would destroying life hating skeletons still be good" situation and the answer is "No"

sorry did not read your answer because it was not here when I started writing

An interesting concept would be the peasants rebelling more and more over time without even necessarily anybody that instigates anything because over time they are more and more hungry and desperate eventually there is no peasants left and no food production and the dead peasants starts coming back to life and attacking.
    Last edited by noob; 2021-09-29 at 09:49 AM.