1. - Top - End - #96
    Barbarian in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Default Re: Does anyone else feel that their players kinda fetishize Royalty?

Quote Originally Posted by noob View Post
    Imagine the players believing there is absolutely no good person in the entire setting and that fundamentally any who would end up ruling would be evil and corrupt.
    Technically there are a lot of good people in the setting, hell, most of the mayors and town guards that the party encounter are usually just normal people trying to live their lives….

But like I said earlier, they live in a feudal monarchy, as such their land is owned by aristocracy and the overarching government of the country is compromised solely of whichever aristocracy the crown appoints, which is usually done via nepotism or bribes….

That does not makes them want to overthrow the current evil and corrupt kings.
    So you need people with good goals to be here and to prove that if the current evil is overthrown that it can be replaced by better people.
    They don’t have to, it’s a sandbox game, as such they can play however they want…. If they want to eschew the Crown’s politics and just focus on dungeon diving or hunting monsters in the wilderness then they are free to do so.

Ex: some rebels that says that if in power they would not murder people for fun, stop making ritual sacrifices every day and reduce taxes enough for commoners to live instead of them dying of overworking.
    I’ve had several Robin Hood rebel characters who were making such humanitarian promises during my games, but for some reason my party do not like this archetype… at all.

This type of character has been brutally killed whenever I tried to “reboot” the concept.

An interesting concept would be the peasants rebelling more and more over time without even necessarily anybody that instigates anything because over time they are more and more hungry and desperate eventually there is no peasants left and no food production and the dead peasants starts coming back to life and attacking.
    I actually do have something akin to that, a powerful lich had been training necromancers and began preaching about “the justice of the grave” in which his necromancers promise that “in undeath all are equal, noble and peasant, king and commoner” and “there is no pain, no hunger, only unity” and had started gaining a rather large following of disgruntled starving peasants eagerly allowing the Lich’s acolytes to transform them into undead with the goal of turning the entire kingdom into a land of death
    Last edited by paladinofshojo; 2021-09-29 at 09:57 AM.