Quote Originally Posted by Plaids View Post
Quick question how is using skills on fellow play characters going to be handled?
I don't want to fight, try suppress other players, or try to persuade other characters to walk off bridges but I think insight just affects me.
I also just rolled insight on Windstruck's Isaera since Isaera was acting kind of suspicious.

Another question. Does editing a posts flavor text change the die roll made on the post?
Last question first: It does not. When you edit a post with a roll on it, the roll's outcome is not directly editable. It's visible as [roll0] and [roll1] and similar things, which seem to be variables the generated roll is saved as in reference to your post. It is -theoretically possible- to post, then see you had a bad roll, and then delete that roll result and input something that looks like a roll result just using bolded text; but that will be detectable to any mod or admin who cares to inspect the post and can result in bans, so any cheatery is easilly revealed. There's the Dice Roller sub forums specifically for rolls and those posts can't be edited, but it's a pain in the but to reference back and forth so I (and most DMs) just trust players for the most part. Also worth noting, if you preview a post in which you are using a roll macro, it'll break the macro and the roll won't work.

As for using social skills on other players, just that way can lead to madness and player disatisfaction, I'm going to err on the side of trusting the players, and step in if I feel things are being done disingenously in some fashion. But you all seem cool, so I don't think it'll be an issue. Still, here's my take:

Intimidating, Persuading, Deceiving, and seeing through deceptions are all things you conduct with other players through RP. If you want, you can make a one sided roll to establish what the other player is reacting to; but ultimately they're going to decide if their character is persuaded, or frightened, or lets slip a telling look.

Example:

Rexxar to Thrall: "If you think I'm going to get involved in your ridiculous fight, 'warchief', you've got another think coming. Now stand aside before I make you stand aside."

Rexxar is attempting to intimidate Thrall. He rolls his intimidate - let's say at +8 - and gets a 25.

Thrall's player considers his options. There are two:

a) Thrall, bewildered and frustrated, stands aside and lets the Mok'nathal pass; storms flickering in his eyes.

In this option, Thrall's player is honoring Rexxar's ferocity, either as a character trait or because of the impressive roll. Thrall is brave, but he's not completely fearless; so he elects to have the young orc yield to the grumpy half-ogre.

b) Thrall flinches a little at the threat, but doesn't shift his stance. "Do what you think you have to do, warrior."

In this option, the Thrall's player recognizes Rexxar's threat, and even tries to salute it a little by having Thrall flinch; but it just doesn't make sense to him for Thrall to back down in this scenario, and so he sticks to his guns.

So in your case, it's up to Isaera to decide what Jakk'ari might interpret with his efforts at insight. It's not exact a cleancut solution, but it avoids the worst pitfall, which is players feeling resentful to other players, so I think it's the best way to go.