“Of course I know where we are!” the bestial man said with a nervous toke of his pipe. The bowl glowed red, illuminating more of the man’s face. Rectangular pupils. Nostril slits like a camel. A course leathery skin. He was loathsome and yet compelling to look at.

“This is unmistakably Gate, intersection of ten thousand worlds…give or take. Ah, but you are new here! You didn’t smell like a dealer, though it’s hard to tell after bathing in the city’s sewage swill. And I see you are in distress…a word to the wise: do not be so free on the details of your comings and goings and your goals for Null’s sake. The bureau loves to process visitors. They may be on to you now. They have a counter that alerts them to new arrivals. Also, I saw no mage.”

The man puffed again. Lavender phosphorus smoke issued out of his peculiar nostrils. A long ear partially hid under the side-brimmed hat flicked at the approach of an unseen buzzing insect.

“Looking for your mother, eh? I’m still mourning the final death of my mum. Hardly seems more than a thousand years ago, even though it’s been twice that. Was your mother as ugly as…” The man cleared his throat. “Tell me about her! Maybe we can find somewhere to clean you up proper and you can talk.”