The Meeting

Savoring his temporary reprieve from having to speak Aenslish, Constantine's response to Rachel's gesture was an ice-cold smile, followed by a small nod. It certainly would not have been the first time he left a trail of corpses by way of warning, though the need to rescue the hostages complicated matters. Had this been a normal job, he'd have charged extra for survivors. As the group filtered out of Leblanc's apartments to prepare for their nighttime raid, he found the eyes of Elizabeth Strife and gave a shallow nod before following Lavender onto the street.

The Apartment

Crouching down to the shadows beneath his bed, Constantine retrieved the lacquered red case of Silence, pulling an oiled silk bowstring from its coil and slowly testing the bow's pull. It never disappointed him. The deep, lethal vibration of an experimental release was soon echoing through the enclosed space, Constantine's side of the partition a uniform shadowed mass in contrast to Lavender's striking silhouette.

<"Why do you think I came looking? My dark and terrible powers foretold your potential.">

Pulling back the dividing curtain, Lavender found him reclining back in the tattered armchair that was at differing times his chosen archery butt and favored perch, long legs draped gracefully over one arm, antlered head staring out an open window at the disgusting clamor below. An appraising look at his companion was followed by a true smile, white teeth flashing in the gloom.

<"And you've certainly learned well. Shares in the airship are just another leash for the vampire - I'd rather keep my interests safely removed from whatever conspiracies he's entertaining to stave off insanity. No doubt this mission of "exploration" has layers within layers that we are not yet privy to.">

Returning to his feet with a grunt, Constantine checked the straps of his dull armor.

<"Either way, there is sure to be no shortage of prey on such an expedition, and with any luck some skulls to add to your tally.">

Pulling an arrow free of his quiver, he gave the enormous hammer a playful tap.

<"You're still behind.">

40th and Spencer

Invisible in the darkness of the stolen garage lamps, Constantine kept a vigilant eye on the warehouse's open door as the others in their group arrived.

"Not enough men. They'll have patrols where we can't see them then."

At last, he deigned to move enough for his eyes to catch the light.

"Wandslinger, warlock, if you're as capable as you claim then the roof should provide easy access for you to take the high ground. Hammer and I can clear the warehouse ground floor. The client wants this to look amateurish, so we'll need a distraction - pilot, can you hotwire this aerocar and crash it into the front shops?"