Quote Originally Posted by Trafalgar View Post
Does this mean I get the AC bonus for a Ring of Protection if I am holding it in my hand but I am not wearing it on my finger? No because RAW specifically prohibits it.

That's a weird ruling. Sometimes I think J. Crawford makes these rulings while tweeting under the influence but forgets to delete the tweet when he sobers up.
Ring of Protection: You gain a +1 bonus to AC and Saving Throws while wearing this ring.

+X Shield: While holding this shield, you have a +1 bonus to AC. This bonus is in addition to the shield's normal bonus to AC.

This is where the difference comes in. The ring specifies you must wear it to gain its magical effects, while the shield specifies you must hold it to gain the magical effects. Wearing, wielding, and holding items are three different things when it comes to in game terms. For example, you must wield a greatsword in two hands, but its been confirmed that you can hold a greatsword in one hand.

Since the shield is providing a specific exception to the normal rules that are applied to using magical items and equipment, that means this is a specific rule for magical shields that have it. In 5e specific rules, such as holding a shield, trump general rules, such as wearing/wielding the magic item to use it. Otherwise they would have written you must wear or wield the shield to gain its magical +1 to defense.

Now, I'll agree its a dumb rule, and potentially a mistake on their part. But RAW is RAW, and RAW states you merely need to hold a shield to benefit from its magical effects.