Quote Originally Posted by sithlordnergal View Post
Ring of Protection: You gain a +1 bonus to AC and Saving Throws while wearing this ring.

+X Shield: While holding this shield, you have a +1 bonus to AC. This bonus is in addition to the shield's normal bonus to AC.

This is where the difference comes in. The ring specifies you must wear it to gain its magical effects, while the shield specifies you must hold it to gain the magical effects. Wearing, wielding, and holding items are three different things when it comes to in game terms. For example, you must wield a greatsword in two hands, but its been confirmed that you can hold a greatsword in one hand.

Since the shield is providing a specific exception to the normal rules that are applied to using magical items and equipment, that means this is a specific rule for magical shields that have it. In 5e specific rules, such as holding a shield, trump general rules, such as wearing/wielding the magic item to use it. Otherwise they would have written you must wear or wield the shield to gain its magical +1 to defense.

Now, I'll agree its a dumb rule, and potentially a mistake on their part. But RAW is RAW, and RAW states you merely need to hold a shield to benefit from its magical effects.
But does that mean if the shield is strapped to my forearm but my hand isn't holding on to it, I don't get the bonus? If a shield is lying on a table and I hold on to it with one hand, do I get the bonus? If another party member has a shield and I stand next to them and hold on to the shield, do I get the bonus?

This is why RAW doesn't really exist; at least the way rules lawyers think so. There is interpretation involved with every rule because these rules aren't written the way laws are. The meaning of these words changes with context. What do the rules actually say about shields?

"Anyone can put on a suit of armor or strap a Shield to an arm. Only those proficient in the armor’s use know how to wear it effectively, however. Your class gives you proficiency with certain types of armor. If you wear armor that you lack proficiency with, you have disadvantage on any ability check, saving throw, or Attack roll that involves Strength or Dexterity, and you can’t cast Spells."

"Armor protects its wearer from attacks. The armor (and shield) you wear determines your base Armor Class."

"A Shield is made from wood or metal and is carried in one hand. Wielding a Shield increases your Armor Class by 2. You can benefit from only one Shield at a time."

"While holding this shield, you have a +1 bonus to AC. This bonus is in addition to the shield's normal bonus to AC."

Notice that the rules use the words "put on", "strap", "wear", "carry", and "wield" interchangeably. And "carry" is listed in my desk thesaurus as a synonym of "hold".

So your RAW and my RAW are at odds with each other. Which is normal because any of these rules require interpretation. What really clinches it for me is this sentence: "This bonus is in addition to the shield's normal bonus to AC." Which says to me you don't get the magical bonus unless you are already getting the normal bonus.

But that's my RAW. Your RAW can be different.