Quote Originally Posted by Greywander View Post
Are you familiar with the Stormwind Fallacy?
Not applicable. I'm not accusing you of being unable to roleplay because you're using the rules effectively. I'm accusing you of trying to exploit the rules to your advantage. A card counter exploits the rules of games like Pontoon/Blackjack and is rightly accused of cheating for doing so. Your attempt to circumvent rules with disingenuous interpretations of specific phrases to justify the end result that you want has nothing to do with Stormwind and everything to do with playing the rules fairly and in-keeping with the spirit of the game and the context of the fantasy; the "roleplay" if you will.

Monks are prohibited from using shields or face losing some of the features of their Class. Whether or not the magic shields rule is legal or not, according to whatever interpretation, it flies in the face of both the clearly stated rule and the also obvious intent of the Monk rules and theme. Just by looking for a loophole...and let's be clear, that's what your doing; you're not asking "Is this RAW?", but rather "Can I get away with this if I push the point far enough". You're looking to exploit the system instead of play it. You're trying to win at numbers at the cost of playing the "role" part of the game.

Can playing the numbers be fun? For sure. I do it all the time myself. Does that mean I'm going to let you run roughshod over setting and theme in one of my games in order to increase a number by up to three? No. Does it matter if you enjoy the bookeeping aspects of the game when I'm checking your sheet? No. You've again missed the point of the reprimand; it's not that I think you might be cheating, it's that by trying to exploit the game, you will have lost my trust that you won't, or worse still, that you aren't exploiting the game thinking it's RAW, when in fact you're using legalese and shenanigans to bend the rules to your favour with specific disregard for the thematic elements of the game. That's cheating and it's not fair or fun for anyone, including yourself. That's why I disapprove.