Quote Originally Posted by strangebloke View Post
My claim wasn't that players hated high level play, but that DMs do. It takes me 3-4 times as long to prepare for my 10th level group as it does for my 1st level group, and a lot of this is driven by me having to account for their numerous magic items and abilities. It's a lot harder to tune in the difficulty and manage rewards at that level, as well as manage the flow and information of the campaign.

You have not know true terror until a player just says "yeah, actually I have teleport lets just go to [place you haven't remotely prepared yet] right now."
That's not a problem of teleport but of the common DM problem of when you plan for A, B, or C players will choose D. Some DMs can improvise. Others cannot. If the DM cannot and the players are insisting on doing this then tell the players the session is over until he can prepare something. If the players resent that and have a conniption fit then there is a gaming group problem, not the wizard casts teleport problem.

However, I would also question why the player chose to do this in the first place. If it's a pure sandbox game and the players can truly do anything or go anywhere then the DM has no one to blame but himself. If there's an actual Plot, even if it was a sandbox created Plot, but the player wants to abandon it then I would question why the player wants to disrupt the game like that.

DMing takes effort. That is not a shock.