Quote Originally Posted by Hytheter View Post
I have mixed feelings about it, personally. On one hand it does make it easier to pick up tier appropriate abilities, but on the other it leads to weirdness where the specific order you level in becomes important. For example: all else being equal, a Level 9 Fighter who takes a level in an Initiating Class is somewhat better than someone who starts as a level 1 Initiator then takes 9 levels in fighter, and putting power discrepancy aside it's just kind of a bookkeeping headache.

That said, if it was easier to swap out old maneuvers for newer better ones that would be easily fixable, so maybe my real issue is that PoW limits you to swapping to maneuvers of the same level. Which is weird; the number of high level maneuvers you can have is already limited by their prerequisites.
Yea that was always the one awkward part about PoW's system that I wish they'd have fixed before the publisher shut down. It's just such a strange oversight that I tend to completely forget it's even a thing when building a PoW character. I'd hope that, if 5e did borrow the concept they'd avoid having that issue, even something as simple as "You can change your Maneuvers Known during a Long Rest" would go a long way towards making things less pointlessly complex and more enjoyable.