View Single Post

Thread: Songbird race! (And other stuff.)

1. - Top - End - #26
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Songbird race! (And other stuff.)

Hyad
    Barely five feet tall, a hyad is a Fey creature with translucent pearly skin, light blue lips, and long curly dark hair that waves of its own accord, even when there is no breeze. Hyads are known for their lush gardens, as well as for being steadfast friends to all plants and to those that live from the land that bring soothing rain – or unleash the wrath of the clouds on those that they deem deserving of punishment.

Size/Type: Medium Fey
    Hit Dice: 4d6-4 (8 hp)
    Initiative: +3
    Speed: 30 feet (6 squares)
    Armor Class: 13 (+3 Dex), touch 13, flat-footed 10
    Base Attack/Grapple: +2/+0
    Attack: Punching dagger +5 melee (1d4-2/×3) or sling +5 ranged (1d4-2)
    Full Attack: Punching dagger +5 melee (1d4-2/×3) or sling +5 ranged (1d4-2)
    Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
    Special Attacks: Call downpour, call rain
    Special Qualities: DR 5/cold iron, low-light vision, resistance to electricity 15, spell-like abilities
    Saves: Fort +0, Ref +7, Will +7
    Abilities: Str 7, Dex 16, Con 9, Int 12, Wis 16, Cha 14
    Skills: Balance +6, Diplomacy +9, Escape Artist +3, Heal +6, Hide +10, Knowledge (nature) +12, Listen +3, Move Silently +10, Perform (dance) +4, Sense Motive +4, Spot +3, Survival +12, Swim +9
    Feats: Weapon FinesseB, Endurance, Diehard
    Environment: Any temperate or warm
    Organization: Solitary, triad or circle (5-10)
    Challenge Rating: 3
    Alignment: Usually neutral good
    Advancement: By character class
    Level Adjustment:

Combat
    Hyads are not particularly bellicose and they only fight if they cannot flee. If possible and necessary, they will use their Call Downpour ability to cover their retreat and hinder their foes. If they deem that their foes will be unable to follow, they might use air walk to escape as well.

Call Rain (Su)
    Three times a day as a full-round action, a hyad may cause rain to fall for 2d8 hours in an area with a radius of up to 1d4 miles. Rain reduces visibility ranges by half, resulting in a -4 penalty on Spot and Search checks. It has the same effect on flames, ranged weapon attacks, and Listen checks as severe wind. Rain that lasts more than two hours has the potential to cause flooding. Plant creatures within the area affected by a rain a hyad calls gain fast healing 1 for the duration of the rain.

Call Downpour (Su)
    Once per day as a full-round action, a hyad can call forth a heavy downpour that continues to fall for up to 2d6 minutes in an area with a radius of up to 1 mile. Treat the downpour as a severe storm without strong winds. Torrential precipitation reduces visibility to zero, making Spot, Search, and Listen checks and all ranged weapon attacks impossible. Unprotected flames are automatically extinguished, and protected flames have a 75% chance of being doused. A downpour called by a hyad also deals 1d2 points of nonlethal cold damage per minute to each creature that is not a Plant within the area affected by it.

Spell-like Abilities
    At will: create water; 5/day: air walk; caster level 5th.

Skills
    Hyads have a +4 racial bonus on Knowledge (nature), Survival and Swim checks.

So, two issues with the hyad:
    1. their main feature is kind of bulky and I'm not sure what to do about that (or if it is even a serious problem that needs addressing); I think I figured it out. (Thanks, Debby!)
    2. I'd really like to give these an LA, but I'm not sure they are actually playable: their best ability is a decent debuff, but it's very party unfriendly.
    Last edited by Metastachydium; 2022-01-08 at 08:42 AM. Reason: Little tweaks to the flavour text; complete rewrite of Call Rain based on feedback that I'm VERY grateful for.