Quote Originally Posted by oxybe View Post
Bought Timberborn on steam early access and it's absolutely delightful.

It's a post-apocalypse colony builder game where you're beavers.

the main game mechanics are water management through making dams and levees and whatnot, and that that the game will go into a "dry season" where your water source will dry up, making sources of lumber and food unuseable.

As such you actually have to build dams and lochs and whatnot to prepare your beaver colony for those dry seasons, as in addition to storing food and drinking water for those times, managing the water is super important if you want to keep farming during a dry spell.

The other interesting thing is that there are really just 2 building materials: lumber (from the trees you've harvested) and scrap metal you've collected from ruined human settlements.

Lumber is used for building but also for cooking higher quality food then just wild berries harvested or root veggies like carrots. some buildings require power, either through a waterwheel (which requires an actively running river, so when it's dry and you've locked up the loch to bide your time, the still water doesn't make the wheel move and thus your building doesn't get power) or a hamster wheel type device you can task a beaver to run on.

Still in early dev, but loads of fun for what it is right now.

Now join me in prayer for all the poor beavers who died of thirst because i am a terrible, terrible civil engineer.
I saw that in the Steam store and put it on my wishlist. I like the idea of having to manage those hydrodynamics, seems like a neat twist to add to the usual city-building stuff.