1. - Top - End - #37
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Is there a meaningful distinction to be made between the system and the content?

Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixPhyre View Post
    D&D isn't generic. D&D is constrained in genre (and that genre is not "all fantasy"). It explicitly does D&D worlds, not "any fantasy world"--it's not an emulator, nor is it trying to be one. Maybe to make the difference, D&D should get moved up the scale to the 30s, with PF being removed from 40 as an example and being lumped in with D&D. Maybe (?) replace it with Starfinder, which is more setting tied. I think.
    I agree 100% with this. I remember how hard me and one friend tried to port over so many things to D&D and failed to keep the feel we wanted. They all ended up feeling like Greyhawk or FR.

I also do not understand the treating PF and D&D as different levels when PF is D&D with a different colored dress on.

I know it is a very old niche game but Morrow Project's rule set was very tied to it's setting and it was very hard to split them apart. I wanted to use my Traveller rules to play in a Morrow Project game, it was super hard to do. The effort lasted a few months but died under its own weight.
    Last edited by dafrca; 2021-10-16 at 12:53 AM.
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude... seeming to be true within the context of the game world.

"D&D does not have SECRET rules that can only be revealed by meticulous deconstruction of words and grammar. There is only the unclear rules prose that makes people think there are secret rules to be revealed."

Consistency between games and tables is but the dream of a madman - Mastikator